Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Doggie Discipline

I am having the hardest time figuring out how to discipline my dog. He's a good dog when he is in your sight, he'll obey in your sight, but as soon as you're in another room or turn around, he'll jump up on the table, couch, chair or grab something he's not supposed to have, like kid's clothes or toys and chew, chew, chew them to destruction.

So far the only ones being disciplined are the humans. We have learned not to leave anything on the table, or couch or floor. We leave all the doors upstairs closed.

Tonight middle child had a little step stool up to the side of the cupboard/counter where she had made her supper, but then she left to do something real quick. I was making my supper on the opposite counter and I turned around and saw the dog on the step stool reaching up on his hind legs trying as best as he could to get her food. I'm lost as what I am supposed to do in that moment, when the dog is getting caught doing wrong. Any suggestions? He got down as soon as I said something, but I know there has got to be a "right" and "wrong" way for the dog to learn not to do these things, even when not being watched.

Anybody have a well trained dog? Any advice?

I have never been a fan of getting puppies, just because I like to get the ones that are already trained. It's so much different than disciplining my kids. I don't understand the mind of a dog.

0 comments: