Friday, August 29, 2008

Surprised J-Mom

Well, I had some great news yesterday. I found out yesterday at a swim team meeting that swim practices can be only 2-3 times a week, instead of the 4 I thought we were supposed to be working up to. WOOHOO!

We also got the schedule for the upcoming swim meets. Well, there were a few that fell on Sunday and the final championship also fell on Sunday. We unfortunately don't have a strong Sunday rule in our house hold. Mom and Dad have different belief systems and keeping the Sabath Day Holy is something that we don't see eye to eye on. So I have not pushed it at all, it's not worth a fight between us. We try not to do extra things on the Sabath, but if Dad really wants to do something, I'm not going to throw a fit about it, we usually do it. I feel the family together time is better than a fight about the Sabath. (Dad doesn't usually ask to do much on Sunday, he does respect how I feel about it.)

So my first thought when I saw the schedule was that the oldest might miss some church and I was hoping it wasn't going to be the children's program that we missed, but I would find some way to work it all out.

Oldest saw the swim meet schedule and she just stated straight out, "Well, I can't do those on Sunday." I was a little suprised, since we don't have a stead fast rule about the Sabath in our house. I questioned her, "Are you sure? You'll miss the Championship Meet, it's on a Sunday." (It's on Super Bowl Sunday, so there will be others with conflicts on that day.) She said she didn't care, she wasn't going to do the swim meets on Sunday, it wasn't right. Okay, I'm a little shocked, but not sure how strongly she felt about her conviction. She has loved being part of the swim team and she has been wanting to compete and just found out she would be able to compete, so I piped in, "You might not be able to stay on the swim team, if you aren't going to the meets." She returned to me, "Is the swim team more important or following God's rules? Keeping the Sabath Day holy is a commandment." Okay, she does feel strongly about this and she got to teach Mom a few lessons in the process.

0 comments: